We’re always on the lookout for rockstar strategists, marketers, and creatives to join our team. Here at Step Change, we're an excellence-obsessed bunch with a passion for solving business problems in nontraditional ways.
If that sounds like you, drop us a line.
We also have an intern program for those currently studying at a tertiary institution — see below.
This is your chance to use the strategic thinking and creative skills you’ve developed to work directly with the leaders of businesses to solve their business problems. To eyeball CEOs and their executive teams every week and take them to a place they couldn’t have reached themselves. To help them win. To finally see the tangible, measurable and meaningful results of your work.
About Step Change
Step Change is a creative business consultancy, a cross between a management consultancy and digitally led creative agency, focused on accelerating growth and solving problems for some of Australia and NZ’s most interesting SMEs.
We do this working hand in hand with our clients, often in facilitated workshops designed to optimise core business (brand story and marketing foundations) and drive progress with fresh insights, ideas and innovation.
We're a unique group of strategists with client-side marketing and agency side experience on our resume and entrepreneurialism in our hearts. And that's what makes us different. We're driven by building businesses - whatever it takes.
We’re different by design. Not the cookie-cutter strategy template guys, not the spreadsheet guys and we’re not an agency that believes creativity necessarily trumps everything else. That said, we’re inherently creative. We couple disruptive thinking with strategic discipline. To us creativity is a tool rather than an end in itself. One tool in a toolbox of many including behavioural economics, business strategy, customer experience and process innovation: we do what it takes. In the past this has led to recommendations ranging from joint ventures to new business models, packaging redesigns to new brand architectures.
For background, look at the videos on our website.
Package: $170,000 - $210,000 + incentives.
Start by watching our team do Stump The Strategist, solving strategy problems live on stage in 9 minutes in front of as many as a thousand people. If that excites you, you would give it a shot AND you could do it for days at a time, then read on. It's not a typical role so if the idea of it scares you, that's okay, as long as it excites you too. We’d set you up to win because we have the systems and processes for strategy, matched with a trained team that wraps around you.
- Run strategy projects and workshop intensives - and get 10/10 results every time
- Wow clients, while thinking on your feet (and sometimes on stage)
- Meaningfully break up a complex problem, distribute the problem solving, and make both the client and your team smarter. We're not after lone-wolf geniuses; we want crazy-smart people that make those around them smarter
- Business development - winning new clients, as well as finding the next opportunity with current ones
- Lead and develop a team of mid and junior level strategists
- Work closely with our Creative Director and Digital Director to ensure strategy meets creativity, and ultimately gets into action
You’ve got 10+ years experience in one of or a combination of:
- strategy roles within creative agencies
- client-side marketing roles
- strategy consulting
We'd expect you to have worked with big, small and fast growing clients. And we'd expect you to have achieved outstanding results with testimonials to prove it.
Also, if you're the type to read books and then apply a new model or way of thinking to a client, you'll enjoy this role (we mean books like: ‘Good Strategy, Bad Strategy’, ‘Thinking: Fast and Slow’, ‘Positioning’, ‘The Lean Startup’, ‘Eating the Big Fish’ etc). If you devour the knowledge and can apply it, there might be a fit here.
How to apply
- Complete the online application by clicking the 'Apply Here' button below
- Include a cover letter and CV. In your cover letter tell us how the consulting industry is going to get disrupted - and what we should do about it. One way to approach that is to answer the question: What valuable business is nobody building yet?
For more information, please contact
Head of Strategy
02 8030 8655
Digital Marketing Manager
We’re looking to invest in a digital manager who is interested in developing their acquisition skills. Are you ready to start building campaigns across a range of industries?
This role is incredibly diverse. You could be working across clients in industries from fertility clinics to funeral homes. You could be building an acquisition campaign one day, and working on the UX of a website the next.
Here’s What You’ll Get
- Blended role that’s got plenty of exciting challenges and direction from top tier, recognised, creative & strategic leads
- Define and lead client work, from the strategy to the execution
- Be part of a fresh agency that’s growing quickly and works with a wide range of clients
- Help put the customer at the centre of everything we do
- Be rewarded with training, development and responsibility
- Be one of the first team members in a new part of the agency, help us define digital
We will challenge and push you to create great results for our clients. We will also make sure you have the best practice training and knowledge to make things happen.
If this role sounds inspiring to you, then welcome to your new job and company. We want to see you explode onto the scene and start kicking some major goals. Excited? Inspired? We are too!
Who You Are
You’re passionate about client service and digital marketing, and have experience managing and delivering digital campaigns, from strategy to analytics. You are comfortable talking about marketing automation, paid advertising and content.
You’re a digital native who’s immersed in the digital space and has experience implementing projects across web and social.
Our work environment is dynamic, motivating and focused. There is an excellent opportunity for growth and development within the agency.
Who You’re Working With
Step Change is a fast growing marketing agency, where strategy meets creativity. We work with over 100 brands each year, from big four banks to funeral homes. We’re facilitators and problem solvers who believe the best solutions in business start with the customer. We always start by optimising and protecting the core before developing leveraged innovations and campaigns.
To do this, we draw on tools from strategy, marketing, consumer behaviour, and behavioural economics (among others).
To Make This Rare Position Yours You Will:
- Possess formal qualification in Advertising, Marketing, Branding, Creative and/or Strategy
- Have a minimum 5 years experience in a relevant Digital Marketing role
- Be driven for success (find a way to show us, don’t tell us)
- Have killer attention to detail and understand good content marketing
- Have experience in Adwords, Analytics, Hubspot or similar Marketing Automation tool
Bonus Points For:
The ideal candidate will have at least one of the following sets of skills and experience:
- Experience implementing Marketing Automation
- Experience working with clients on content marketing strategy
- Experience leveraging data for marketing, communications or business results
- Experience working in an agency environment
How To Apply:
We're after the one in a million candidate – so that means there's probably about 5 in Sydney.
- Send your CV with a cover page to firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com (max 150 words) detailing how you will satisfy each requirement outlined
- 3 dot points of what appeals to you about the position
- Demonstrate that you actually do have attention to detail by reading this entire position description and then including the word "shark" in your application
business / marketing strategist (mid / junior) - adelaide
Step Change exists to inspire step changes in businesses and people. And although our head office is in Sydney, we've been sharing our smarts with Adelaide classics like Beerenberg, Qattro, Minetec and Adelaide City Council.
A recent World Economic Forum report (Future of Jobs) identified the top 10 job skills required in 2020 as:
- Complex problem-solving
- Critical thinking
- People management
- Coordinating with others
- Emotional intelligence
- Judgement and decision-making
- Service orientation
- Cognitive flexibility
A Step Change strategy role uniquely demands and develops all of them.
It’s challenging. You'll learn more in 6 months than you would in 6 years in most jobs. Frankly, it's not easy, but nothing worth doing ever is. If that excites you, read on. If it sounds scary then don't waste your time.
THE ROLE - SO WHAT IS A MARKETING STRATEGIST?
This role walks the line between management consultant and marketing agency creative strategist. We're looking to invest in someone who wants to develop their problem-solving abilities and creative thinking. Working with a Strategy Director, you'll solve problems for 30+ clients a year, such as:
- How do we launch a new business/product?
- How do we transform a struggling business?
- How do we optimise our marketing spend, online and offline?
- How do we most powerfully tell our brand story?
- You’ll be playing an active part in client strategy workshops including developing and presenting original ideas direct to client
- Writing strategy documents (following workshops) ensuring ideas and analysis are communicated powerfully and accurately
- Briefing creative teams to execute on ideas and concepts generated in client workshops
- Primary day-to-day client contact
Your passion for solving problems and generating fresh ideas is only trumped by the joy you get from making stuff happen and a job well done. You're smart, restless, curious and entrepreneurial yet disciplined and focused. You love a team environment and don't back down from a challenge. You're highly motivated and never satisfied with the status quo.
To Make This Rare Position Yours, You Will:
- Have a minimum 5 years full-time experience working in a business, management consultancy, or advertising agency in a client facing or project management role
- Written and verbal English skills at a native mastery level
- Demonstrate both strategic and creative thinking
Bonus Points For:
- Digital know-how
- Public speaking and presentation skills
- Client management and relationship skills
Intern with Step Change
WHO WE'RE LOOKING FOR
We are looking for interns who are interested in learning more about strategy, digital marketing, account management or new business development. A Step Change internship will teach you more in three months than Uni teaches in three years. Work with the strategy, digital, new business, creative or change team on live client projects and gain real experience.
WHO WE ARE
Step Change exists to inspire step changes in businesses and people. We work directly with business owners and leaders across strategy, marketing and leadership. We have 100+ clients every year and they range from Sony Pictures to startups, from maternity wards to funeral homes and everything in between. Our services are mainly delivered through workshops, where our team works with the client to come to the best and most effective solution using a range of tried and tested Step Change tools.
WHAT WE'RE OFFERING
We have a three-month, unpaid, internship available for students in their final year of study. It’s okay if your area of study isn’t business or marketing – here we’ve got lawyers, economists, graphic designers, journalists and engineers – what’s more important is your interest in learning, the challenge of thinking on your feet and thinking creatively.
The internship is unpaid for three days a week over three months though it’s worth noting almost half our current staff came through this program, with us building a full-time job for the best.
We’re happy to give letters of reference for those wanting to use their internship for a university course.
WHAT YOU'LL GET
Don’t worry we’re not interested in having someone around just to get coffees. Your role will be to learn our tools, then work closely with our strategy team to deploy them. As a small business, you’ll also get the chance to be involved with sales, event management and the creative team so you’ll come out with a really broad view of how the industry works.
WHAT YOU'LL NEED
The only thing you’ll need to bring with you is the right attitude. As a small team, we all have to jump in to lend a hand where needed, even if that’s outside our comfort zone. So be confident, be interested, and be willing to work hard – but leave any ego at home. Writing skills and the ability to properly proofread would be a big bonus.
We will cover any expenses incurred while working.
Please note: We require a letter of acknowledgement from your university that either states that you are undertaking the internship as part of a university course, or that the university acknowledges that the internship would be of benefit to your degree.
HOW TO APPLY
• Click the 'Apply Here' button to get started!
• Remember that we get a lot of applications — make sure yours stands out.