We’re always on the lookout for rockstar strategists, marketers, and creatives to join our team. Here at Step Change, we're an excellence-obsessed bunch with a passion for solving business problems in nontraditional ways.
If that sounds like you, drop us a line.
We also have an intern program for those currently studying at a tertiary institution — see below.
Strategist meets account director (mid Level)
A recent World Economic Forum report (Future of Jobs) identified the top 10 job skills required in 2020 as:
- Complex problem solving
- Critical thinking
- People management
- Coordinating with others
- Emotional intelligence
- Judgement and decision making
- Service orientation
- Cognitive flexibility
A Step Change strategy role uniquely demands and develops all of them.
It’s challenging. You'll learn more in 6 months than you would in 6 years in most jobs. Frankly, it's not easy, but nothing worth doing ever is. If that excites you, read on. If it sounds scary then don't waste your time.
THE ROLE - SO WHAT IS A STEP CHANGE STRATEGIST?
This role walks the line between management consultant, account director and creative strategist. We're looking to invest in someone who wants to develop their problem-solving abilities and creative thinking. Working with a Strategy Director, you'll solve problems for 30+ clients a year, such as:
- How do we launch a new business/product?
- How do we transform a struggling business?
- How do we optimise our marketing spend, online and offline?
- How do we most powerfully tell our brand story?
- You’ll play an active part in client strategy workshops including developing and presenting original ideas direct to clients
- You’ll write strategy documents (following workshops) to ensure ideas and analysis are communicated powerfully and accurately
- You’ll brief creative and digital teams to execute on ideas and concepts generated in client workshops
- Beyond the brief, you’ll ensure deliverables are on strategy, meet client expectations and generate desired results
- You’ll be both the internal project management lead and the primary day-to-day client contact
Your passion for solving problems and generating fresh ideas is only trumped by the joy you get from making stuff happen and a job well done. You're smart, restless, curious and entrepreneurial yet disciplined and focused. You love a team environment and don't back down from a challenge. You're highly motivated and never satisfied with the status quo.
To Make This Rare Position Yours, You Will:
- Have a minimum 5 years full-time experience working in a business, management consultancy, or advertising agency in a client facing or project management role
- Written and verbal English skills at a native mastery level
- Demonstrate both strategic and creative thinking
- Demonstrate project management skills
- Be up for weekly overnight interstate travel
Bonus Points For:
- Digital know-how
- Public speaking and presentation skills
- Client management and relationship skills
- Skilled in data analytics
HOW TO APPLY
- Complete the online application by clicking the 'Apply Here' button below and indicate in your application that you're applying for the Strategist role
- You will require a CV with a cover page detailing why you're right for the role and what appeals to you about the position
- To show your attention to detail, include the word 'elephant' in your application and make sure your cover letter and resume are in one .pdf document
Intern with Step Change
WHO WE'RE LOOKING FOR
We are looking for interns who are interested in learning more about strategy, digital marketing, account management or new business development. A Step Change internship will teach you more in three months than Uni teaches in three years. Work with the strategy, digital, new business, creative or change team on live client projects and gain real experience.
WHO WE ARE
Step Change exists to inspire step changes in businesses and people. We work directly with business owners and leaders across strategy, marketing and leadership. We have 100+ clients every year and they range from Sony Pictures to startups, from maternity wards to funeral homes and everything in between. Our services are mainly delivered through workshops, where our team works with the client to come to the best and most effective solution using a range of tried and tested Step Change tools.
WHAT WE'RE OFFERING
We have a three-month, unpaid, internship available for students in their final year of study. It’s okay if your area of study isn’t business or marketing – here we’ve got lawyers, economists, graphic designers, journalists and engineers – what’s more important is your interest in learning, the challenge of thinking on your feet and thinking creatively.
The internship is unpaid for three days a week over three months though it’s worth noting almost half our current staff came through this program, with us building a full-time job for the best.
We’re happy to give letters of reference for those wanting to use their internship for a university course.
WHAT YOU'LL GET
Don’t worry we’re not interested in having someone around just to get coffees. Your role will be to learn our tools, then work closely with our strategy team to deploy them. As a small business, you’ll also get the chance to be involved with sales, event management and the creative team so you’ll come out with a really broad view of how the industry works.
WHAT YOU'LL NEED
The only thing you’ll need to bring with you is the right attitude. As a small team, we all have to jump in to lend a hand where needed, even if that’s outside our comfort zone. So be confident, be interested, and be willing to work hard – but leave any ego at home. Writing skills and the ability to properly proofread would be a big bonus.
We will cover any expenses incurred while working.
Please note: We require a letter of acknowledgement from your university that either states that you are undertaking the internship as part of a university course, or that the university acknowledges that the internship would be of benefit to your degree.
HOW TO APPLY
• Click the 'Apply Here' button to get started!
• Remember that we get a lot of applications — make sure yours stands out.